Exclusive to makewine.co.nz - This is a complete starter winemaking package - all you need to start making your own delicious wine at home. Including a basic ingredients kit for 5 litres. So you will have everything you need to make your own delicious wine at home (except your fruit or juice, & sugar). Add bottling products for an extra cost.
If you are making wine from winemaking grapes (as opposed to wine from fruit, vegetables etc) these kits can be used but they are more intended for fruit wine. Check out our area on making wine from winemaking grapes.
This home winemaking package includes:
* 10 litre food grade plastic bucket with lid
* 5 litre glass jar / carboy / demijohn with swing-top lid. The carboy may be of the style of the last picture.
* Rubber bung
* Airlock (may be either s-bend style or cylindrical style)
* Food-grade siphon tubing
* Cotton cheesecloth/mutton cloth for straining your wine
The basic homemade wine ingredients kit includes:
* 1/8 cup (about 40g) Potassium Metabisulphite (same as sodium metabisulphite except it doesn't add any sodium to your diet!). Most professional wineries use this instead of sodium metabisulphite. You use this to sterlise your equipment and your "must" (fruit mixture that you are fermenting).
* 1/2 tbsp (about 5g) pectolase enzyme to break down the pectin in your fruit so your wine is clearer
* 5g professional winemaking yeast.
* 1/4 tsp (about 1.5g) Fermaid A professional winemaking yeast nutrient
* Instructions and basic recipe
* Unlimited email help and support
The yeast you choose may result in subtle differences to the end result BUT the main influences to your finished wine will be the fruit/raw ingredients you use. As a general rule there is not a yeast for a particular fruit. Dark fruits may benefit slightly from using a red wine yeast in that you may get more colour extraction and stability. If you don't know what yeast to use, get EC1118 as it provides a robust, neutral ferment.
You can choose to add bottling options:
Novatwist premium screwcaps - you can reuse your wine bottles with screw caps